If you’re looking for new sunglasses, then you might know what you need and what you want, or perhaps you don’t know what to look for, or the difference between different types of sunglasses.
Here’s what you need to think about.
1. You’ll want to establish why you need new sunglasses. Perhaps you broke or lost your last ones, maybe you want a pair to keep in the car, or perhaps you want a pair to help you look good on holiday.
2. It’s important to establish what you’ll be using your new sunglasses for. A pair of sunglasses for driving, will have different requirements to a pair that you’ll only ever wear on you annual summer holiday.
3. You might then want to choose between high fashions sunglasses than t ill look great this year, but might date, or stylish shades that will still look good in a few years time.
4. You’ll then need to think about the style you’ll choose. The shades that will look square sunglasses good on you will be dependent on your face shape, colouring, hair, and how long you’ll be wearing them for. If you’re wearing them for driving in, then visibility and sun protection has to be much more important than how good they look.
5. If you’re looking for sports specific sunglasses, then you’ll already have some requirements. Perhaps you’ll need your new sunglasses to protect your eyes from the sun and stones and insects whilst cycling, or maybe you’ll need to be able to run a marathon, or play golf when it’s very sunny, or you’ll be fishing or sailing.
6. The fit of your sunglasses is as important as the protection they offer. It doesn’t matter how stylish they are, or how good you look in the, if they don’t fit well. You can’t keep pushing them up whilst you’re driving, lying on the beach, cycling, teeing off, or trying to land a fish.
7. As well as fitting you well, your shades need to be comfortable so that you can wear them for as long as you need to. No matter whether you’ll be wearing them for a few minutes on you way to work, or all day on a long bike ride, or on the golf course, you won’t want them to be uncomfortable and distract you from what you’re doing.
8. You’ll want your new shades to be durable, and be up to being left in the car over winter, or to be able to protect your eyes from the sun, stones and grit whilst on a demanding mountain bike trail. You’ll also want them to last several years without falling apart, or the lens or frame breaking.
9. If you’re looking for a fashionable pair of sunglasses, then you might have a brand or two in mind already. If you’re looking for sports sunglasses, then you might have decided that features and fit are much more important than looking stylish, and so will choose the brand and model of sunglasses that meet your requirements.
10. It’s important that you choose the sunglasses with the features you need, rather than thinking too much about the cost. You won’t get value for money from a pair of sunglasses that don’t fit well, are uncomfortable, and don’t give you the protection you need, when you need it most. It’s much better to get the sunglasses you need, rather than getting the cheapest pair.